21 May 2010

Second Day, Time: 8.30-16.30, Total Time= 9 Hours 40 Minuets

Today I was able to dive into my project. After Lyn showed me the in's and out's of the finding aid and where all the photos were located I started the project. Anyone who knows a little about the history of Ohio knows that Akron was the "Rubber Capital of the World", so everyone would first think about the rubber plants and tire making companies. The next thing that I thought of was the Akron Air Dock and everything that deals with airplanes, blimps, and space. After that I was at a loss as to where to go next. After that I started by searching the internet for iconic aspects of the city of Akron. This brought out many different people, places, and things for me to search in the archive. After writing down the information I found I typed the information into a coherent list, this list is on Google Docs and I can provide you access at any time.

After defining the terms that I wanted to search I started to use the finding aid for the Cleveland Press Collection. I started with the names that I found but this turned up nothing. After a few of the bigger names of Akron, i.e. Perkins, O'Neil, Seiberling, etc., I decided to change my search subject. I moved to the neighborhoods of Akron. There was a little information found here but not a whole lot. Next I moved to the Blimps and the industry surrounding it. Here I found a lot more information than the other searches that I preformed. The next thing that I started to search was area Churches, Synagogues, and Temples. This did not net many results either. Finally I searched the rubber industry and here is where I found the most information for the day’s work. I found pictures on almost everything that I searched and some things that I did not know that I was looking for.

Something that I discovered was that I could find pictures about Akron in "General..." folders. This I did not expect but it does make sense, because this is a Cleveland Collection and why would there be a folder for one or two pictures of Akron when they could be placed into a larger folder. All of my findings are on Google Docs and just ask if you want access to them. I still have a lot of work ahead of me because I have not finished my search term list and I have only looked at one collection.

1 comment:

  1. Remind me next time you're in, especially after Lynn returns next week, to discuss other collections you're not aware of, such as the Bruce Young and Gerald Brookins collections.

    ReplyDelete