01 August 2010

Day Ninteen, 930-1615, Total time = 119 Hours 50 Minutes

Today marked the final stage of my project; metadata. I meet with Kif in digital production and she took me through using ContentDM and the different aspects of the metadata elements that the Cleveland Memory project uses. The elements are very similar to Dublin Core and I found it very easy to understand. I feel this way because I have an understanding of DC before I began the project. Kif also went over some of the rules that Cleveland Memory uses for the sake of consistency. She gave me a guide to follow for coming up with picture titles, descriptions, etc. Something that we discussed was the fact that Clev. Mem. is geared toward Cleveland and that the controlled vocabulary for the subject terms will not always fit into Akron, i.e. Seiberlings, Akron Children’s Hospital, to name a few. I decided to enter the subject terms that were not in the controlled vocabulary and see if they could be added later. After submitting a few records I emailed Kif to see how everything was going with the metadata. She said that it looked good and she added the subject terms to the controlled vocabulary list.

Another thing that Kif and I discussed was the location of the items within Akron, i.e. neighborhoods. She had pulled up a map of Akron with the neighborhoods and said that she could add them if I wanted to use them, I felt to be accurate that I should use the neighborhoods of Akron because everything is not found downtown. A good example is the Airdock. It is located in the Ellet neighborhood and I felt that it deserved to be listed as such because if a user was searching for photos of Ellet they do not want to sift through hundreds of pictures of Akron to get to the one neighborhood. With that being said Kif added the neighborhoods to the location controlled vocabulary. Since this was my first day of metadata I was cautious and went very slowly. I was able to record 20 items.

No comments:

Post a Comment