01 August 2010

Day Twenty, 930-1615, Total Time = 126 Hours 35 Minutes

I started the day by talking with Bill about the progress of my project and he had some questions about other metadata platforms. I told him that I had experience using dSpace from another class and he grilled me on the program. I told him that I thought it was a good platform but it had some problems with usability, but overall it was a good program to use. After talking with Bill I started back in with my metadata. I was able to get through 23 records but I need to pick up the pace, without lowering the integrity of my metadata, if I am going to finish the project. In my metadata I added a "see also" element to link the Akron project in Cleve. Memory. directly to Summit Memory. Since Akron is in Summit I feel there needs to be a direct link to Summit Memory instead of the user looking through Ohio Heritage North East. The Multi Site Server is useful but I want users to be able to link directly to the Summit Memory. While doing this "see also" I thought of looking up the direct search URL, i.e. Firestone, and putting that URL in the "see also", but that creates a very long link. I emailed Bill to get his input and he suggested tiny URL and he emailed Kif to get her input as well. Kif felt that I could use the tiny URL, the www.summitmemory.org, or the long URL and it would not make much difference. I looked through the Summit Memory site and found that some pictures, bridges, were not in their collection. I felt that having some long URLs for topics like Firestone and the site URL for others would not be very synchronous. In the end I decided to go simple and the user can go directly to Summit Memory, from the metadata, and search the Summit collection from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment