20 May 2010

First Day, Time: 13.00-14.40, Total Time: 1 hour, 40 minutes

Today was my first day of my practicum. I met with Bill and we set out what my practicum will involve. We found that me living in Akron was a good place to start. The area that I will be working in is the Special Collections; this is not the traditional library environment. In that I will not be dealing with a lot of people and this practicum will be more of a project that will take all 150 hours. The project will start with me looking through the holdings of the library to find what they hold in regards to Akron and Summit County. Bill suggested that I look for Akron, Bridges, major infrastructure, the Rubber Industry, the Siberlings, government, major employers, i.e. Firestone, Goodyear, etc., neighborhoods and the Akron Air Dock. This is not a finite list but some of the idea that we kicked around in regards to the subjects that surround Akron. I really like the idea of this project because I live in Akron and I feel that living here will help me to understand and better convey the story of Akron via the Cleveland Memory Project.

Along with what my project will entail, we talked about the infrastructure of the Cleveland Memory project. This includes the areas of the Western Reserve and south. I found out that the project uses Multi-Site Server, M.S.S., between several schools and library systems. All of these systems use CONTENTdm for their metadata and this made it easy to pool all of their resources under one harvester, Ohio's Heritage Northeast. This makes good, rich, metadata very important because patrons researching can search a topic and find the information that they are looking for. With the O.H.N. the user can click on a picture and the site will direct them to the website of the library that holds the resource. I look forward to working on this project and I think that this will be good experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment