28 May 2010

Day Four, 900-1500, Total Time= 23 Hours 40 Minutes

Today I finally finished going through my search terms and the Cleveland Press collection. The subjects that I dealt with today are sports, transportation, and bridges. In sports I looked for information about the football, baseball, hockey, softball, and basketball teams that have resided in Akron. I did not find anything. Most of the teams were very early in the 20th century and I am not surprised that there was no information available in this collection. Next I focused on transportation. This included railroads, roads, and canals. I found many pictures on these topics because the Ohio Canal ran through Akron and the canal system is what put Akron on the map. Some of the pictures were labeled with lock numbers and I had to find what locks were found in Akron. There was a whole file dedicated to the AC&Y train line but nothing else in the general file. I also looked for roads in Akron but nothing turned up here either. Bridges did have some information available in the Akron General file mostly on the Main St Bridge and the renovation of the bridge.

I also revisited the 'crowd' picture from yesterday to see if I could find anymore information about it. I thought on my way to CSU this morning that it could have been a preseason game or a exhibition. I looked through NFL.com and other stat sites but did not find any information. I then e-mailed a friend that is a librarian and she suggested contacting the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I e-mailed the hall of fame and they suggested calling their archivist and ask them about the photo. I will do this next week.

Finally to round out my day I started to make a list of the books that the Special Collection department has on Akron. I will not limit my search on Akron alone I will also search for Summit County. In searching in the county the books that are here could have information about Akron.

1 comment:

  1. I have contacts with the AC&Y historical society, if you want to talk to them. They'll tend to be interested in photos of AC&Y equipment (locomotives & cars), rather than Akron itself, but there are photos that do both. Nice guys! We also may have stuff in the Bruce Young Collection on the AC&Y. What about the Pennsylvania RR, the B&O, the C&O, etc.... did any of them go through greater Akron (check railsandtrails.com for route maps and timetables, if necessary)?

    ReplyDelete