03 June 2010

Day Five, 900-1600, Total Time = 30 Hours 40 Minutes

Today I picked up from where I left off on Friday. I finished going through the catalog for the Special Collections dealing with print material, i.e. non-photos. I used the CSU online catalog and searched using the subjects; Akron, Summit County, and University of Akron. From the list I only wrote down the items that could be found within the Special Collections. I found not only books but maps, videos, and serials. I put everything that I found into a list that is now up on Google Documents.

Bill had the idea to look for railroads that did not just originate within Akron but ones that could have passed through Akron. So I looked for stops or lines from B&O Railroads, C&O Railroads, and Pennsylvania Railroads. While searching for information on these I also found that there is an Akron Barberton Cluster Railway that is a little more modern. In regards to the B&O line they had two parts that dealt with Akron; The Akron Sub-Division and The Akron Chicago Line. The C&O did not go far enough East to reach Akron so they had no lines and Pennsylvania Railroad had one line in Akron; The Akron Branch which ran from Hudson to Columbus. I did not see if there is any information about these at the library yet. I will probably get to it tomorrow.

As stated on Friday I was going to call the Pro Football Hall of Fame about the crowd picture. After three calls I was finally able to get in contact with someone there. I explained my situation to Jon Kendle and he asked to have the picture e-mailed to him. He said that he was going to look for a score book or program from the game and get back to me about it via e-mail. I have yet to hear from him.

Finally I started to go through the Bruce Young Collection. This is a well cataloged collection with a lot of pictures, negatives, and glass slides. I was able to get through a box that was labeled with Akron City and it had quite a few pictures from Akron taken in the 30's and 40's. I have not yet looked at all the railroad pictures that are in the collection, but I plan on doing that tomorrow. A valuable lesson that I have learned up to this point is deductive reasoning. What I mean is that some of the photos are not labeled, Bruce Young and Cleveland Press, and from my knowledge of Akron I had to figure out what the picture was showing and where in Akron it is located. Granted with some of the older photos I have not been able to figure out what they are showing but due to my seeing the sites of Akron I am able to figure out most.Today I picked up from where I left off on Friday. I finished going through the catalog for the Special Collections dealing with print material, i.e. non-photos. I used the CSU online catalog and searched using the subjects; Akron, Summit County, and University of Akron. From the list I only wrote down the items that could be found within the Special Collections. I found not only books but maps, videos, and serials. I put everything that I found into a list that is now up on Google Documents.

1 comment:

  1. Take a peek in Ohio's Heritage Northeast (http://www.OhiosHeritageNE.org) and search for Erie RR photos. We have a large collection of Erie RR pictures there from harvesting Syracuse U's CONTENTdm collection on-line and a few of them show NE Ohio. You will need to do an Advanced Search (ask if you don't see how), specifying their Erie Collection alone, so you don't get overwhelmed by Summit Memory's stuff. I searched for "Ohio" and only got ten hits, none Akron, but then did "Akron" and got stuff, noting that there Ohio is merely "OH." BTW, "M.L." designates the "Main Line" of the RR.

    ReplyDelete