02 July 2010

Day Twelve, 900-1600, Total Time = 76 Hours 25 Minutes

The survey that I sent out last week had a couple responses so today I started my day by coding the e-mails. Most of the replies were what I had already searched myself; however there were a couple that I had yet to think about, i.e. Christmas Day Parade, Akron Marathon, Hopping Frog and Thirsty Dog Breweries, Lock 3, Rib Fest, and First Night. I looked for these on the off chance that there may be something, but I did not find anything because these are more contemporary examples of Akron. I did not receive as many replies as I had wanted to so I talked with Bill about possibly posting to the Kent State SLIS Lis-serv. He said that he was not too sure on the protocol of posting and suggested that I contact Dr. Zeng. I e-mailed Dr. Zeng and she has several good ideas. First she suggested to not have it worded as a survey but a questionnaire because survey sounds to formal and this should be more like a ‘pre-test’ for finding the data that I was looking to find. She had other suggestions, blog, Facebook, Survey Monkey etc., but after discussing it with Bill we found that for my needs an informal questionnaire would garner the best results. Since sending it out I have received replies from people not just in Ohio but from Arizona, Iowa, Illinois, Canada, and England. I did not expect this to receive so many responses but I am glad because it does give me a global perspective on Akron. Thus far most of the replies have been about what I expected but there have been a few that I did not think about, music and art. I will explore these two topics more tomorrow.

To finish out my day I started to go through the file folders and list one by one the pictures that I will be using for the final product. I found that in the topic of “Airships” there are a lot of photos of various airships flying. Some have the airship’s name and some do not. I think that the project will need only a few photos of the airships flying so some will need weeding out of the project. Though there are a lot of the flying airships there are just as many good representative photos of the airship boom centered in Akron.

No comments:

Post a Comment