17 June 2010

Day Nine, 900-1045 and 1200-400, Total Time = 55 Hours 25 Minutes

Today I started the day by stopping at the Akron Summit County Public Library Main Branch. I stopped there for two reasons; first was to pick up books about Akron and second was to talk to someone about the Akron Memory Project. I talked with Joanne O’Dell about my project here at CSU. I stopped out to make sure that I had searched everything that I could. We also talked about the metadata because I want to make sure that people searching for Akron they will be able to find all the available information, i.e. the Akron collection in Akron Memory and Cleveland Memory. Joanne suggested linking the Akron Memory website in the metadata. From our discussion it seems that I am moving in the right direction and she was more than happy to field any of my questions about Akron that I may have in the future.

After arriving at CSU I worked on two major things. The first thing that I did was to work on a timeline for the history of Akron. This will help me to put everything in order and have the project make sense to others when it is finally on the internet. Second was to search the other terms that Joanne had suggested. I looked for “marbles and polymers” to name a few. I also looked for articles by Helen Waterhouse but I did not find anything on any of the subjects. Though I did not find any new information I was happy to finish the timeline of Akron.

1 comment:

  1. Good! I'm happy you had a productive meeting with Joanne O'Dell. Since she did her practicum here and modeled Summit Memory on those experiences, she knows well what we're looking for and is inclined to help.

    You did run your list through Cleveland Memory, didn't you? I ask because we've been cataloging in some photos that were in the miscellaneous letter folders of the Press Collection (things starting with A, things starting with B) that didn't warrant a whole folder themselves, so some Akron stuff may've wound up being entered that way. Ask Lynn for particulars. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete