24 June 2010

Day Ten, 900-1600, Total Time = 62 Hours 25 Minutes

Today I worked on trying to finish compiling the data for my project. On last week’s post Bill had suggested to search in Cleveland Memory using the search terms that I had developed. This took up the better portion of the day. I did find some information on the rubber industry and some photos on the Goodyear Blimp, just to name a few items. These will be good photos to have to add to the Akron collection. I talked with Bill about the progression of the project and that I should begin to gather the collection to start the digitization process. He asked me today about the scope of the project and I had honestly not thought of it up to this point. I will be laying out for myself the scope of the project. This will include major aspects and minor aspects of Akron. I do not want to focus on just rubber and blimps I want to include things like Quaker Oats and Cascade Plaza. That is what led me to create a survey. I created this survey to help me make sure that I have not left anything out of my project. The search terms that I developed were on my perspective of Akron. The survey will help me to see others views of the city.

I also had the pleasure of talking with some members of the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society. They have most of their items on deposit here at CSU and they were up looking them over. I talked with them about other avenues of Akron that I could search to make my project complete. Scott suggested looking at old chamber of commerce records for a list of industries found within Akron. Previously he worked at the University of Akron and knows that the university holds many of the records from the camber. The members also suggested looking for a “Directory of Industries open to reciprocal switch”. This is a list that would be open to ship and receive goods from the railroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment